Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Michael's Brief British TV Interview on the set of 'If I Had You'

Yesterday Michael appeared briefly on a British morning entertainment talk show called Morning Tea from the London set of If I Had You and spoke about his role in the film, working with Keira again, the director, why he feels so at home in England, why he wants to take less 'psychotic' roles, and of course, the rumors about him and Rosie. You can click on the above photo to watch the video interview or simply read the transcript here:

Q: So you play a bad boy. The classic bad boy every girl falls for at some point. That must've been quite easy for you, yea?
A: Well the thing is he isn't bad anymore. My character used to be a drug addict but he's changed his life around. Owns his own top of the line restaurant now. He's a legitimate business man now. But Keira's character, she still isn't sure if he's truly changed. And neither is the audience really. So I spend a majority of the film trying to prove to her and you the viewer, I've changed. I gotta get her trust back. And on top of that she has the issue with her husband, played by Sam Worthington. She thinks he's having an affair, but she doesn't have any proof. And even if he is, does that make it right for her to have one with me? So she's in quite the dilemma and I'm not making it any easier. My character, he's a lot like me. He's very persistent.

Q: Speaking of Keira, this is your first time acting with her since Bend It Like Beckham, almost a decade ago. How's has that reunion been?
A: It's been marvelous. Absolutely amazing. She's one of the most intriguing, interesting, smartest, toughest, funniest, sexiest human beings on the planet so a day working with her isn't really working. It's a joy. And almost all my scenes are with her. So we got a lot of alone time to act and just hang (out). She's improved so much as an actress since then, as have I. So now, dealing with such mature characters and such a meaty storyline, we can handle it with so much more authority now since me and her are veterans in the game now. So it's easier. Plus she's a blast to hang out with off set, so it's great yea. She's like a sister to me, or a cousin really. I missed her a great deal.

Q: And you mentioned the director, Cameron Crowe, was another massive reason for your excitement to do this film, no?
A: Yes. Of course. I mean he is in my opinion one of this generation's finest American filmmakers. Love and romance is a huge issue to tackle in film and he does it in maybe the best way I've seen since those old classic American romantic comedies of the 50's. His films have this epic feeling to them and the music is always such an amazing part of that experience. So much so that even in real life, when you are doing something romantic or having a great moment with someone you love, you almost feel like the only thing missing is some great piece of music playing in the background to accentuate that moment, haha. And Cameron does that better than anyone. Jerry Maguire was such a classic, defining film. You Complete Me, You Had Me At Hello. Those are timeless lines. His films just give you such a warm feeling, it makes you wanna run out of the movie theater and fall in love, haha. And for him to take on England, his first time doing a British story, was so interesting to me. Then when I found out about the cast, I knew I had to be apart of it.

Q: And you have been quite vocal recently as well as in the past about your fondness for England...
A: Oh yes. I love it here. I don't know why but I just do. I think maybe in a past life I was British, haha. The people are just so nice here. I mean there's a pompousness in the same way Americans have their arrogance, but it's not the same. Brits are very giving. Americans are very selfish. I think that's the biggest difference. It's just small little culture differences really. It's hard to explain.

Q: You're not exactly known to take on roles like this. In fact you have been quoted that you felt August Rush was a waste of time and now it seems like you're looking for these types of romantic leading man roles and less the bad guy or second in command bad guy roles that made you famous.
A: Yea I'm growing up. You can't be a crazy screamer in every role. Subtle nuanced acting is an art in and of itself, Sean Penn and Gary Oldman both told me that. When I did August Rush I was bored because the character wasn't crazy enough or challenging enough so I ignored all the opportunities I had to breathe life into him. I am making an effort to take on more roles like this, like Brotherly Love, ya know? Simple dramas. Just normal acting. No need to kill and rape, haha. I want my female fans to be able to see me in something where I'm actually a nice guy for once. I always have them watching me be some psychotic asshole and I think it's gotten a bit old. I actually think it takes more courage to take a role like this and fully put yourself into it than it takes to just go nuts and portray a caricature in something like 3:10 to Yuma or Pelham 123. I'm working on it.

Q: Now of course we must ask, are the rumors about you and Rosie Huntington true? Are you two an item?
A: An item? I dunno. Ask her. I don't know where we stand. How's it work over here? Where do people stand after one date? In the States we'd call this 'talking'. Me and her are 'talking' to each other. Boyfriend, girlfriend? No. Not yet. But I'm so glad I met her. She's a stunning girl. Just stupid to look at. This is going to be a big year for her, between Transformers 3 and this film and the horror film she's shooting in Brazil this summer. She's also gonna take acting lessons in the fall. So she's serious about this (acting) thing. I'm proud of her. There's no frills there. Just a simple girl. She makes me laugh. She has a smile that can destroy you. She's really great. I think I found a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment